Friday 25 November 2011

Engineering and Crochet....


Hi there!

I've finally finished that project for my daughter...and here it is..

When I asked her what type of crochet bag she would like me to make, of ALL.... the bag types, she had to ask for a backpack...(sigh...)
And so began the engineering or construction...of a bagpack from scratch...which involves:
  • crochet the bag body, then the top flap, then the handles, then the front pocket, then the side pocket and finally the butterfly....
  • sew all the crochet pieces together
  • figure out the lining construction process and sew it all together
  • hand-sew the lining to the crochet bag (unfortunately can't use machine...)
  • not forgetting to put in the drawstring and magnetic closure etc at the appropriate juncture
Here are more pictures of the bagpack:
I put in a base so that it can 'stand' on its own...
the crocheted stretchy side pocket which
can hold a water bottle or a favourite friend...
The interior has a zip pocket, a slot pocket for cellphone and
the board-like base is encased in the same material as the slot pocket.
The drawstring and stopper are in a matching colour.
(oops..the drawstring is obscuring the magnetic closure)
close-up of the front pocket ;
made the base of a contrasting dark colour for stain-resistance
I am pleased with how it's turned out. Probably has taken me 2 weeks of labour spread across 6 months!
Would I attempt this crazy piece of 'engineering' again...? Probably not in a long long while....only for my girl...and she loves it!

Serena

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by! We would love to hear from you.